Sanlitun Village is a low-density integrated commercial plan comprising 19 buildings on two sites, a few minutes’ walk from each other.Besides retail space, the project also includes a 99-room intriguing urban hotel, The Opposite House
The name ‘Sanlitun Village’ is taken from the small scale urban communities based around various culture and art scenes that spontaneously develop in cities across the world. Here in the Village, we wanted to create a community that places emphasis on ‘people’: people eating, drinking, shopping, performing, discovering, and creating, ending up with an experience that is influenced from everywhere, yet feels like nowhere else
Architecture and Design
—Blending the Beijing of the past with its more cosmopolitan present.
Lead by the Oval partnership and the Tokyo-based architect Kengo Kuma, an international team of architects worked on the Village’s architectural design combining the varied use of vibrant colours and irregular lines with Kengo Kuma’s trademark emphasis on the use of more natural materials, in effect bringing about a modern design distinct to Beijing. We feel
the Village stands out from the more traditional designs of shopping malls across the world. The idea of an ‘open-plan’ development, with the Village consisting of 19 separate buildings, interspersed with gardens, courtyards, and twisting alleys, helps to create an inviting environment, where visitors can mix activities from inside and outside throughout the d
Here at the Village we like to celebrate the art that can be found all around us in everyday situations, from the art of a chef preparing a delicious meal, to the attention to details spent on merchandising the latest trends in shop windows. When you visit us here, we hope you’ll enjoy the atmosphere of our own daily art as you stroll through the streets of our community. Accompanied by music drifting from the rooftops, you’ll encounter street performers and artists amongst the alleys, or sounds of joy from children enjoying an afternoon in the Summer, the rhythm of life here in the Village is forever flowing, always changing, and most definitely alive.
Whilst both attracting visitors and enticing them to stay, our unique take on the architectural design has also inspired our tenants to be more creative themselves, providing an even more distinctive experience for our visitors. In fact, in our first year alone we introduced a host of flagship stores to Beijing, including adidas largest store worldwide, and both Fossil’s and Apple’s first China stores.
Sanlitun Village is Swire Properties’ first integrated commercial project in China, bringing with it 35 years of experience in designing, developing and managing some of Hong Kong’s most admired properties. With a focus on ‘Building Exceptional Value’, Swire Properties strives to create long term benefit to both tenants, customers and staff alike, approaching each project individually, rather than simply duplicating existing developments. As the latest in
Swire Properties’ developments, the Village continues this trend and offers a unique experience.
The retail portions of Sanlitun Village are jointly owned by Swire Properties and Gateway China Fund I, with Swire Properties holding an 80% stake and Gateway China Fund I taking the remaining 20%. The Opposite House is wholly-owned by Swire Properties.
The Oval Partnership (HK)
Kengo Kuma (Japan)